The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

Netflix' Castlevania isn't particularly known for its stellar writing and thought-provoking themes. Its popularity stems from some of the most exhilarating battle-animation in recent memory - set in a deeply rich world full of exciting exploration. When I tell you that The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf is more akin to the world of Castlevania than that of Andrzej Sapkowski, it echoes a similar disappointment to that of the Netflix series.

While I admit to being introduced to this world through CDPR's sequel-saga of massive RPGs, I have since been reading the books twice over and engaging in forum discussions whenever I get the chance. This is without a doubt my favorite fictional universe so I will always be pessimistic about "unique" takes on the franchise.

Exploring Vesimir's past and expanding on relatively unknown territories is not something I'm actively against. On the contrary, I find it inherently interesting. However, my biggest gripe with Witchflix is the incessant need to change established lore to something far inferior.

When creating spinoff stories in a loosely depicted fantasy world, there are many rules to bend and shift. But it's not the new stuff that irritates me, it's the changes to already existing ideas that I fail to understand.

It gets to a point where I had to separate this film entirely from the world of Andrzej Sapkowski to enjoy it. These are of course only limitations if you feel even a slight connection to the ideas presented in the games and books. If you can get past the subpar writing, there is a lot of glorious animation to behold.

A lot of stubborn-old-man-critiques that a lot of people will see past, but I'm unfortunately only watching anything related to the Hissrich-Universe out of borderline addiction to the source material. If you're anything like me, I wouldn't recommend it. To anyone else looking to pass the time, this isn't the worst avenue to veer.

Scorcaesar liked this review