Unbreakable

Unbreakable ★★★★

One must wonder if Shayamalan actually hadn't plotted this story out as a trilogy from the beginning cuz Unbreakable ties in with Glass (and Split I suppose) so nicely. Glass carries this film's message forward in a fashion that eliminates the Objectivist hang ups that come along with this sort of story, but I do believe that Unbreakable deals with that all pretty fine to begin with, and perhaps more subtly, locating the true purpose of Willis' actualization in his relationship with his son, and complicating this empowerment via the revelation of Jackson's manipulations in the film's final moments. In fact, Glass' plot structure is a more optimistic inversion of this film's structure, addressing the potential for corruption and misanthropy that comes with accepting one's "greatness" at the film's beginning, and ending the film with a demonstration of everyone's potential for "greatness". Unbreakable's downbeat twist ending reads as an interesting caveat within Shayamalan's body of work where plot twists are generally used to instill a sense of wonder in the audience, to invite us to imagine a bigger better world. With Unbreakable, Shayamalan deploys his plot twist to make us reconsider what "greatness" is built atop of and to underline the fact that our aspirations are inherently responses to equivalent fears and dejections. Perhaps notable that this comes after Shayamalan's big Sixth Sense coronation... though I believe he had this script around for some time... interesting to think about in that context nonetheless.

Really, few others could make a movie about a sad sack dad in the process of a divorce so beautiful and moving. Shayamalan probably one of the few true Spielberg heirs and this is his Close Encounters.

calamityhey liked these reviews