A Quiet Place ★★★★

This was stressful as hell. John Krasinski pulls heavily from the Hitchcock handbook to build suspense, not relying on cheap jump scares. I would have loved to have had a completely silent audience, but that's just a rare luxury these days. People are still gonna look at their damn phones, and make hushed comments to their friends. I did appreciate the one girl in the theater who aggressively shushed a loud asshole twice. I think Krasinski crafted a film that is so aware of its place in a silent cinema that it demands a certain level of stress from everyone in the audience who is carefully sipping drinks and munching on snacks, terrified to make the slightly noise.

The inclusion of an audibly impaired character further immerses you in the silence, augmenting the breathing and shifting bodies of your fellow moviegoers. It amplifies the building tension and suspense. This movie starts out so strong (a la last year's IT), that you gasp and struggle to ease your panic for the next hour and a half.

Emily Blunt shines in this. What an incredible talent she is, and Krasinski isn't too far behind. The kids are great too, as they get a couple key moments of drama to deliver.

The plot is essentially the Tim Robbins cellar scene from Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS elongated to feature length, with some though-provoking themes of parentage, love, duty, and forgiveness.

"Who are we if can't protect them?"

There are some criticisms I won't dive into for the sake of spoilers, but this film accomplishes pretty much everything it needs to almost flawlessly. Krasinski may be a better director than actor, and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as he keeps letting his wife be the star. And he helped write this too!

Ernest liked these reviews