BlacKkKlansman ★★★★

Less a movie, and more a cinematic social statement, this film is a cold-water slap in the face. People need to wake the fuck up to the racism embedded in our country, all the way up to the White House. It baffles me that a movie like this needs to exist, but I'm glad it does. And that Spike Lee made it.

This film has some serious issues in terms of character development and plot construction, but it makes up for them with some chilling moments of dramatic irony and superb acting (particularly from the great Adam Driver, and surprisingly, Topher Grace).

I would have appreciated the film taking the time to let us get to know these characters more, but I did not leave the theater dissatisfied. Spike Lee set out to make a point with this, and I think he succeeded. He crafted a film that finally says "fuck you" to DW Griffith's The Birth of a Nation in such a masterful way, that I cannot help but marvel and appreciate it. Lee even uses Griffith's own pioneered staples of cinematic language against his hateful and evil classic, and even takes it a step further by ultimately tying it to our current era and our asshole president. The final few minutes of this film are harrowing, solidifying this as one of the most important films of the year, and perhaps the decade.