Solo: A Star Wars Story ★★★

Good, not great, with brief hints of brilliance.

The story told in this movie, along with all its memberberries and blatant callbacks to the original trilogy, would have made an amazing Lord/Miller film. A meta origin story, self-aware of its own pandering and existence as a brand/product? Brilliant. The remnants of that showed themselves in about two or three scenes in this film. I kept trying to imagine why those guys got the job in the first place. The concepts and ideas in this movie are all incredible, but they are executed with such careless and soulless haste. It was all too often too obvious to me how poor and rushed the filmmaking of this film was. Not Ron Howard's fault. He came in and redid an entire movie in a pressurized time crunch. Honestly, I'd love to see a movie/doc about that.

The acting is all really strong throughout, but it gets bogged down by really cringe-worthy dialogue that the actors struggle to sell. Alden as Han is fine, although be ends up being the most forgettable member of the ensamble. Woody Harrelson was my standout favorite, as he is great in everything he's in. Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Lando and L3 took me a scene or two to be on board with, but by the end I was completely sold. EmilIa Clarke as Quira is fine, although I would have loved to have the love story be more developed. I didn't really care much for it. Her character seems to be set up in a much more interesting direction at the end of the film, so I'm excited to see what they do with her.

Pretty much every action scene is really great, despite a lack of color and style that I'd appreciate from a film of this scale. Conceptually, this movie works brilliantly. From the idea of a story in the Star Wars universe that's not about saving the Galaxy, but just about stealing some shit, to Han and Chewie's first meeting, and THE KESSEL RUN, THE KESSEL RUN (CLAP CLAP CLAP). It's just a shame that the execution of these amazing concepts wasn't realized to their full potential, as this film truly and deeply suffers from being almost entirely remade after there was a version already done. We'll never know what that Lord and Miller film looked like, or if it even worked, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as forgettable and emotionless as this.

Full thoughts on the WE BOUGHT A MIC podcast.

Ernest liked this review