Suspiria ★★★★½

This film is special. Seldom do we see a filmmaker operating on the farthest reaches of convention, crafting something so beautiful and grotesque with such elegance and artistry.

Luca Guadagnino's latest is one of the best films of the year, filled with outstanding performances, dynamic camerawork, disturbing/upsetting imagery, and a brilliantly hypnotic score from Thom York.

This film transfixed and transported me unlike anything else I have seen this year. It is at times a bit tediously slow, but the outright madness of the climactic finale more than made up for it.

The fusion of dance and witchcraft is communicated flawlessly, and the sense of dread is just subtle enough as the nightmare begins to creep in.

Guadagnino has managed to create something that weaves together different levels/styles of horror and gore, all while building an atmosphere of suspense/terror with nods to the 1977 Argento film and that time period.

With time, this may go down as masterpiece. I am still trying to process it, but I think that it truly is something unique that should be experienced in the cinema. It is not for everyone, with its slow pacing, twisted humor, and increasingly shocking violence. But if you can stomach the scenes of brutal gore (gorgeous practical effects, btw), you are in for a beautifully demented trip.

Ernest liked this review