Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is in no way the perfect franchise. There have been major bumps in the road in all aspects, from storytelling to creative drama. Avengers: Endgame is the culmination of all of that, even moreso than Infinity War. A lot of hype went into that film as if it were the last one, even using inappropriate tag lines such as “An entire universe, once and for all.” No, this was the last hurrah. This is what the hype should have been saved for.

Endgame is surprisingly deep and reflective for a comic book film. After suffering an astronomical loss to Thanos with the snap of his fingers, what’s left of the Avengers deal with their failure. Blame is thrown around. Feelings are hurt. Depression sets in for some. But when the chance to fix everything presents itself, they spring into action - after a little hesitation from some members - to fix their entire universe, once and for all.

Unlike any film before it, Endgame goes all out comic book. This is truly an adaptation of an event arc. Each scene is like one part of a major Marvel Comics event. The build up to the epic finale can be seen as slow and tedious, but once you get there, the third act so fucking rewarding and emotional (not to say the rest of it isn’t) - a comic book fan’s wet dream. I cried the entire last 30 or so minutes. Seeing what goes down in the final battle just made me forget about any grievances I’ve had about the MCU: destroying S.H.I.E.L.D., being lackadaisical about continuity across films and into the TV shows. And while this is the end of a 22-movie saga (I guess 21 if you go by Marvel since they are disowning The Incredible Hulk), it makes me excited for the future and where we go from here.

Finally, in a way, it’s an official good-bye to childhood for so many of us who were there at the start, when we didn’t know that Iron Man would be the genesis of one of the greatest experiments and franchises in cinematic history. No other comic book movie universe will ever get the kind of respect and admiration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Thank you, Kevin. Thank you, Robert.

Thank you, Stan.