Killing Them Softly ★★★½

“I’m living in America, and in America, you’re on your own. America’s not a country. It’s a business. Now fucking pay me.”

It’s interesting to watch this now, a movie framed by the 2008 United States financial crisis while in the midst of both a global pandemic and financial crisis. While Wall Street and the Federal government were robbing American citizens blind and causing the economy to crash, the same thing was happening to the mob. Knocking each other off. A little heavy handed, but I loved the real quotes from President George W. Bush and the then senator (soon to be president) Barack Obama that they chose to accompany certain scenes. The fact that the mob is no longer run by people who make the big decisions, instead everything is done by committee, it’s another parallel with the United States. But the biggest take away is, nobody gives a fuck about you in the end. It’s you vs the world, always. And maybe that’s a pessimistic outlook, but I personally have run out of optimism as of late due to a whole manner of things. The American people lost faith in the economy. I’ve lost faith in people.

Caleb liked this review