Prisoners ★★★★★

Prisoners is a masterpiece through and through. The narrative here is one of the most expertly woven and intelligently crafted screenplays I've witnessed. The performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal are worth the watch alone, not to mention the stellar supporting work from Viola Davis, Terrence Howard, Paul Dano, and even lesser-known names like Maria Bello and Dylan Minnette. The score from Jóhann Jóhannsson and cinematography from Roger Deakins are also top-tier. I can now confidentally say that Denis Villeneuve is probably in my top ten favorite directors.

On a side note, Denis Villeneuve knows how to select and direct actors. I mean look at the performances in all his films, with Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Emily Blunt, and many others giving Oscar-worthy performances in every one of his movies. That's no coincidence; that's intelligent casting decisions and performance directing. And Rebecca Ferguson and Timothée Chalamet are starring in the upcoming Dune! Villeneuve is seriously a masterclass filmmaker.

Caleb liked these reviews