Rocketman ★★★★½

Absolutely beautiful. So much fun! I love musicals, and this was a properly done musical about one of the greatest and most talented rockstars in history, and it really did him justice. Taron Egerton delivered a fantastic performance, not just purely imitating the icon he was portraying, but deeply understanding and embodying him. I love how Dexter Fletcher was not afraid to go all out with this film, let it be as gay as it needed to be, not hold back from the eccentricity of Elton John’s life. It’s everything Bohemian Rhapsody couldn’t be. It’s so artistic and original, a biopic that stays away from tired and overly-used formulas, while taking advantage of some cliches that are tastefully applied. And it doesn’t shy away from being sexy. RICHARD MADDEN, I MEAN....
I cringed a little at that rehab scene in the end, it was all a little too corny and overdone for my taste, as were a couple other moments, but the scene right after of I’m Still Standing compensated for it by giving me goosebumps and a wide, wide smile.
I don’t really have anything bad to say about this, I guess?  When I started writing I had given the film 4 stars, but after talking and thinking about it, I think I need to bump that to a 4.5. It was just so delightful, and I’m not going to deny myself the joy of rating this as high as I want to rate it. Going to listen to the soundtrack now and just be happy.

cami liked these reviews