Blade Runner

Blade Runner ★★★★★

Cinematic Time Capsule
1982 Marathon - Film #72

Believe it or not, what you are about to read is actually the seventh version of my review for Ridley Scott’s ‘Blade Runner’.

Here is a brief summary of the previous versions:

Workprint prototype version (1991)
My original workprint review was shown in the early 90’s to test audiences on some local computerized bulletin board systems in Denver and Dallas. But the negative responses led to a series of modifications and rewrites.

San Diego sneak preview version (1992)
A sneak preview was then shown only once on a small San Diego blog in May of ’92. This version is nearly identical to the Official US version, except that it included three additional sentences and a haiku about J.F. Sebastain that has not been seen before or since.

Official US version(1993)
In the spring of ’93 the Official US version of my review was released on AOL by my editors. It included a much maligned "happy ending" as well as the bizarre addition of an actual Harrison Ford voiceover. My editors inserted a narration audio button after each paragraph because earlier test audiences indicated difficulty understanding what it was I was talking about. It has been suggested that Ford intentionally performed the voice-over badly, in the hope it would not be used But in a 2002 interview with Playboy, he said, “Even though I had no idea who this Cammmalot was, I delivered it to the best of my ability, given that I had no input. I never thought they'd use it. But I didn't try and sandbag it. It was simply bad narration."

International World Wide Web release (1996)
The International version or as it’s sometimes called, the unrated version was released in late ’96 on the World Wide Web via the Internet Movie Database — it included three additional violent sentences as well as a lengthy paragraph about boobies.

US family friendly version (1997)
The US broadcast version was simply edited down by the admin of a family-friendly website in order to tone down the violence and profanity, as well as the removal of the paragraph about boobies.

The Writer's Cut (2002)
The Cammmalot-approved Writer's Cut was prompted by the unauthorized ’99 leak of the workprint version of my original review. I provided extensive notes and consultation to the editing team although preservationist Michael Arick was put in charge of creating the actual Writer's Cut.

In addition to fleshing out several sentences, three major changes were made to the Official US version of my review:

✅ The removal of the editor-imposed "happy ending”.
✅ The removal of Harrison’s explanatory voice-overs.
✅ The insertion of a paragraph about a dream I once had about riding a unicorn through a forest.

The Final Cut (2022)
And so here it is. The Final Cut of my Blade Runner review. And please keep in mind that this is the only version which I had complete artistic control:

Ridley Scott’s ‘Blade Runner’ is a really good movie and I really liked it a lot. The end.

Cinematic Time Capsule - 1982 Ranked