Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner 2049 ★★★★★

Blade Runner 2049 sucks you right into it's mesmerising world and doesn't let you out of its grasp until the credits roll. It's has more actual emotion than the original and it earns it's gut punching moments. This is due to it being a slower paced film, we spend much more time getting to know our characters, the bonds they have and what makes them tick. Gosling delivers a near excellent performance. He has some of his best scenes opposite Ana De Armas who redeems herself from being in the dreadful film "Overdrive" earlier this year. Harrison comes back and knocks it out of the park. I would discuss more in depth with the story but I don't want to spoil it for those yet to see it. I will say that it's intriguing and well paced out. Twists and turns are genuinely surprising, I never once was bored by it at all.

On a more technical and production front, Deakins beautifully continue on to be almost identical in style and vibrancy to Ridley Scotts original yet, still feeling like its own thing at the same time. Zimmers score once again pulses through the speaker systems providing a soundtrack that fits the style for the world of Blade Runner so effortlessly. It is truly something to experience on a massive screen with decent sound only then will you feel the full effect.

I'm not giving this film five stars because it's the cool thing to do. Because it's the new "smart" blockbuster that everyone has to love. I'm giving it five stars because it, in my eyes, is a masterpiece. A slow burning, immersive and awe-inspiring masterpiece from beginning to end.

Cameron liked these reviews