BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman ★★★★★

@officialspikelee you have left me shook! Without a doubt, "Blackkklansmen" is the best Spike Lee film in decades and one of the best films I've seen all year! This is the incredibly shocking yet true story of Ron Stallworth, the first black cop in Colorado Springs who, along with a fellow white officer, infiltrated the KKK in the 1970's. Here Spike Lee and producer Jordan Peele, who gave us my favorite film of 2017 "Get Out", found a way to tell a true story while at the same time using it to reflect on the current political and social state of our country. Lee and Peele blend comedy and drama beautifully in this film! With a nearly flawless script, no amount of laughs were sacrificed and in the end we were able to get a powerful film with a great message that at the same time never felt desperate. What I loved the most about this film, and Spike Lee's approach to directing in general, is that he didn't try to promote his messages subliminally but rather straightforward which made the film more honest in its intentions. In addition to the great direction, production and screenplay, the performances across the board were superb! It's hard to believe this was John David Washingtons first major role because there's no doubt he's going to be a superstar in Hollywood real quick! Topher Grace however was the one who really surprised me with a terrific performance of David Duke that I will never get out of my head. Lastly, as someone who was deeply devastated and emotionally upset the night of November 9th 2016, if anything else this film is a reminder to continue the good fight and a reminder that with a voice and with action, change can and will come! I highly recommend watching "Blackkklansman", it's an incredibly powerful movie and it's one of the years finest!