Fruitvale Station

Fruitvale Station ★★★★★

Now I understand why this film captured the hearts of the Sundance crowd and won the jury prize. I was prepared to be indifferent about it despite the great reviews, but oh boy it hit me deeply and I was in tears.

You know that feeling when you just walked out of the theatre but you wanted to collect yourself first but people keep walking past you? This was EXCELLENT in all levels. A very special film that was based on a youtube video about a young man that was arrested and eventually shot by a police officer on New Year's eve. The movie follows Oscar Grant (played by the amazing Michael B. Jordan) as he goes about his final day and the people he met. The director surely made an unforgettable debut.

I can say that the performances are better than the movie itself. The cast was a-plus-mazing. Octavia Spencer gave me everything I ever wanted in life, while Melonie Diaz served! I wouldn't be shocked if both of them won awards come the Oscars/SAG/Golden Globes season. Did I mention Michael B. Jordan's terrific starmaking turn? He was absolutely amazing. Some of the scenes were superbly shot, and the script was just a dream. The ending provided us with the information we needed but that last scene with the girlfriend and the kid, was just, I can't even.

Definitely one of the films you shouldn't dare miss this year.

Carlo liked this review