Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★★

I never actually liked Tarantino. I’m not a big fan of exacerbated violence; actually, I don’t like it at all. When I watched Pulp Fiction, I thought: “Is this the movie that everybody loves and say that it’s a classic?” Because there’s nothing very special about it, except the extreme, bold violence. I couldn’t relate to any of the characters in the movie, and I don’t even remember what the end was, because it was very meaningless, and it only made me feel disgusted. There was nothing cool about Samuel L. Jackson’s monologue before killing the hamburger guy (everybody loves this monologue!). So I decided not to watch the other Tarantino movies, if they’re going to be like Pulp Fiction. But I liked Django Unchained’s trailer (I love Sergio Leone westerns), and the story, and after reading all the good reviews here, I really wanted to watch it.

I still don’t like the extreme violence, I probably won’t watch this film again, but, in this case, this violence came with very well written story and a very stylish movie, from beginning to the end. Tarantino paid homage to the classic westerns in the right way. The Opening credits are beautiful! That Django song by Luis Bacalov is so powerful and it just sets the tone of the whole movie. The first scene is so damn good! If someone had any doubt that he wanted to watch this movie, this scene just ends with it. Dr. King Schultz is such a badass, I can’t even describe. When he says “My good man, did you simply got carried away with your dramatic gesture or you’re pointing your weapon at me with lethal intention?”, he owned me for the whole movie. I could go on and quote all the great lines of Dr. King Schultz, but there’s no need. Now, Django. What I liked about him is that he simply accepted that he was free. He took off the blanket that he was wearing, with no embarrassment (such a cool scene, by the way). I liked him at that very moment too.

Although I never liked Tarantino’s style, I could never deny that he knows how to pick a great soundtrack. I’ve never watched a film in which the score simply belonged to it. That’s what happened in this movie. I just want to download all of the songs. Each one of them is perfectly set at the right time.

If Tarantino had to choose one story to make me interested, this was it. Before all the killing and the blood, he made care about the characters, the good ones and the bad ones. As the end of the movie approached, I was so angry with Calvin Candie, that I actually clenched my fists. And I was so absorbed in the story, that I didn’t even noticed, until he said that Broomhilda was sold. Steven got me so pissed! Oh my God! The whole dinner sequence was so tense, that I didn’t even move. At the dessert I was thinking “They’re gonna’ get into trouble, this is going to be ugly, they should walk out of there right now!”, but at the same time I was thinking “After all that happened,they are not going to leave without killing everybody!”. And then the shooting starts and I jumped in my bed of excitement. This is how it has to be done! This whole violence was justified; this is what I wanted to see! That’s why the screenplay was so perfect and won the Oscar. I don’t care about professional assassins, whose life we know nothing about; I don’t care about a fighter (even if he’s Bruce Willis). I don’t care about the gangster’s wife who’s a drug addict. I care about Django: a slave, who was chained, beaten, violated and humiliated his whole life, who also had his wife stolen from him, and now has the chance to get her back and also avenge for the people who did all this things to him. With such a buildup character, after we get to relate with him, as Dr. King Schultz did, you can bring the violence. Because I am angry, I want revenge! This is what a story should be like! To make me care enough to ignore all the violence that I hate, and say: This was a goddamn exceptional bold movie.

NOW I respect Tarantino.

PS: This film is way better than Argo. What’s wrong with you Oscar people???

Caroline liked these reviews