The Double Life of Véronique

The Double Life of Véronique ★★★★★

"I have a strange feeling, like I'm not alone... Like I'm not alone in the world."
Krzysztof Kieslowski's film The Double Life of Veronique is one of the most staggeringly beautiful films that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. As I was watching the film and doing my best to take in all of the stunning cinematography, I found myself lost in Kieslowski's carnival of reds and greens. This is one of those films that commands all of the viewers attention, and doesn't allow your eyes a second of rest. From start to finish, The Double Life of Veronique was a masterpiece. Being that I was unable to take my eyes off the screen I honestly didn't write down hardly any notes for this film. I do remember several sequences that gave me goose bumps, like the marionettes sequence. Along with being one of the visually captivating films that I've seen, the acting from Irene Jacob, who plays both Veronique and Weronika, was intense and on point. Obviously others feel the same way about her performance being that she won best actress at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival. Criterion describes The Double Life of Veronique as being a symphony of feeling, and I think that might be the best description out there. If you enjoy cinematography and love seeing great female performances, then The Double Life of Veronique is a can't miss.
Concept - 9.5/10