Bloodshot ★★½

At one point in 'Bloodshot' (2020), the character Bloodshot, played Vin Diesel, confronts the film's villain and angrily makes a reference to Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

Too self-serious to be as fun as something like G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (which is what I was hoping for here! A cheeseball masterpiece!), but not smart enough to do anything interesting.

There's enough cool stuff in the first act of the movie (WHICH LASTS FOR LIKE AN HOUR) that I got very excited! There's this whole fight in a cloud of flour (like... for baking...) that is a great diegetic excuse for some REALLY cool lighting. There's this long, slow dolly shot set to a Talking Heads song and you're like "Damn! Does Bloodshot have style? Are we going to see something neat?!" And then two scenes later a character literally calls that previous scene a cliche. And like... was it?! Is that in a bunch of action movies and I'm missing it?!

And my final thought is that, one day, when we don't have a Guy Pearce around anymore, we're going to look back at what we used Guy Pearce for, and feel shame.

Casey liked this review