Godzilla vs. Kong

Godzilla vs. Kong ★★★½

So, Godzilla was originally created as a metaphor for nuclear weapons, to cope with Japan's trauma after America bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki only 9 years earlier. Over time, though, the movies got sillier and sillier (including one that's just about Godzilla teaching his son how to be a monster) and further away from that central metaphor.

Then, decades later, America produces this endless wave of Super Hero films as a way to deal with the national trauma of 9/11. These are such a massive economic force that they ALSO trend away from a way for us to understand that destruction, and become just about interconnected universes, and every movie studio tries to find their MCU.

This eventually gets us Godzilla Vs Kong, a movie only interested in silliness, that completely throws away Godzilla's connection to nuclear weapons or power, and in which there are, no exaggeration, about "a thousand 9/11's" in terms of destruction. I don't think any of this is a knock on the movie, I just think it's interesting.

Anyway at one point Kong walks up to this giant ancient stone door with a red handprint his ancestors put on it, so he knows to push it open, and I wondered how many giant apes at the center of the Earth had tried "PULL" before someone finally put up the sign.

Block or Report