Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman

Promising young woman is not enough.
Not funny enough for me to take it as a dark comedy, and not the rape revenge drama it feels like it's trying to be. Not empathetic enough to feel like it truely cares about its characters. So much of Cassies character feels like its almost there, but it lacks enough nuance to truely get the point across. Cassie regrets what she has done. Her trauma is not her own. It no longer is just about avenging her friend, but ending her own guilt. She feels like she could have done more, and thats a fucking amazing thing to get across in terms of showing trauma onscreen. But it doesnt show it enough. So much of it is focused on her relationship with ryan, just to trick us. Not empathetic enogh to make the ending truely sting as much as it should. This feels like a movie that doesnt care what people think. But its so hard, because i do care. I care about this character. I care that her death wasnt given the respect it deserves, not by the other characters, but by the filmmakers. It feels like some sort of gotcha moment. Like her death needed to happen for any justice to be served. And the worst part is she knows it. She predicts she might in fact die, but she still goes. Maybe this is just the truth and i have to suck it up. But maybe I shouldn't have to. Its not too much to ask for a film to give enogh respect to the trauma victim inside its story, and the trauma victims the film seemed like it was for. Forgive me for not needing another harsh reminder that its hard to be a woman, or someone percieved as a woman. Forgive me for not needing to have the fact that men can fucking get away with shit and have everyone still love them shoved down my throat. with a movie that feels like it tries to have a "fresh new take" on sexual assult stories, its ending feels like the same depressing shit, but treated like a shocking twist, and not the truely fucked up, depressing shit it is. Instead of quiet tears, promising young women gives you pink text bubbles and a cute "i gotcha" moment. But what it doesn't give, is enough for me to truly think this is a film that cares about its characters, and with a topic like rape and trauma , and trauma in general, empathy should be the first priority.

cassette_kidz liked these reviews