Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

Ethan attempts to improve his awful writing skills by reviewing his 50 favorite movies. #4

“Anyone can wear the mask. You can wear the mask. If you didn't know that before, I hope you do now. Cuz I'm Spider-Man. And I'm not the only one. Not by a long shot.”

Sorry Wes Anderson, this is the perfect blend of style and substance. There is no way this could be made in live action and be even remotely good. The Avengers approached the style of the comic book but THIS. This cranks it to 11 and pours some nitro juice into it. The action is kinetic, frantic, stylish, and surprisingly easy to follow with everyone getting a time to shine at one point or another, and it is beautiful. While the other seven (has it really been that many?) spider man movies have approached the coming of age narrative (notably Homecoming) this one fully embraces the similarities between the origin story and becoming your own person and makes Miles journey more than just controlling his powers, making his arc all the more satisfying. Also Nicholas Cage as Noir Spider-Man is one of the most inspired casting decisions of the past decade hands down. Hopefully this goes down as not only one of the best animated movies, but in the superhero genre as well.

Current List Position: 1/4

Next Time: The Razzle-Dazzle satire that ‘might’ not have deserved its best picture win depending on who you ask.

Thanks for sticking it out guys if you have anything I could work on I’d love the feedback!

Ethan 👻 liked these reviews