Avengers: Endgame

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK
________________________________________________________

“Avengers! Assemble.”

After rewatching a couple of lo-fi science-fiction films today, I thought it best to revist the magnum opus of modern sci-fi epics of the superhero variety - the end of an era, the 11-year 22-film amalgamation, the box-office record-breaker, Avengers:  Endgame.

During my initial watch, I was overcome with joy, elation, emotion, crying tears of joy and sadness throughout literally the entire film.  So many moments of cheering, crying, laughing - everything came perfectly together.  But I had questions.  And my keen eye and nitpicky sensibilities needed answers.  So Rewatch #1 it was, tonight, of course in IMAX.

Here are just some quick thoughts of moments that I loved from the film:
• That opening scene...  I knew that’s how it would start.
• Iron Man looks rough.
• Yo did they just kill Thanos 20 minutes in?
• FIVE YEARS LATER
• So what’s the big deal with the gay character?
• Underwater earthquakes?  Namor?  Atlantis?
• Holy moly, that intro to Ronin.
• Really, a rat is the savior of the universe?
• Professor Hulk?  I can dig.
• Fat Thor?  Makes sense.
• Yo!  Korg, Miek, and Valkyrie are back!
• Time travel!
• That intro back to 2012 though.
• Thor and his mom...  Great scene.
• “Hail Hydra.”
• Cap duel!
• WHERE IS LOKI?
• Howard and Howard.  Amazing scene.
• The de-aging effects are incredible.
• Cap seeing Peggy...
• Jarvis!
• Knocking out Starlord on Morag.
• RIP Nat...  Terrific scene.
• Oh no, Thanos knows...
• “On your left.”
• BEST.  FINAL.  BATTLE.  EVER.
• “I knew it!” (gave me chills)
• Scarlet Witch’s entrance.
• A-Force shot (I actually liked it).
• Everyone gets a shot to shine.
• Pepper and Tony fighting back to back.
• AMAZING VISUALS.
• ☝️
• “I am Iron Man.”
• That funeral... (cried this time too)
• “Cheeseburgers.”
• The final dance.
• Bucky knows.
• Passing of the torch.

There’s honestly so much more I could put here, but the film is just filled with MCU and comic book nerd callbacks and references to die for.  Every moment is made for fans, sparking chills and tears of joy at every turn.  The writing is absolutely spot-on, with every character feeling realistic to their respected arcs and storylines perfectly.  It’s such a refreshing send-off of our two main boys, and you can’t not cry.  A perfectly paced, fun, tense, emotional journey that literally takes you through the history of the MCU as plot, and it works.  Time travel is always an iffy thing (and I still have some questions I’ll get to in a bit), but it’s done very well here.  I really love seeing Thanos’ true evil side come out here, making him even more of a threat this time around.  No longer can we see him in a more humanized light, his ego gone to his head, as he knows his plan has succeeded.

The final battle is honestly one of the most fan service-y things ever put to film, but it’s oh so satisfying.  Every hero you’ve come to love all fighting for life, everyone getting a chance to shine.  When you see those floating, orange circles, you know exactly what’s happening.  The Tony and Peter embrace is just amazing.  When T’Challa calls Hawkeye Clint.  Giant Man.  And gosh.  Like I said, Scarlet Witch’s entrance is so powerful.  Cap getting Mjölnir!  Pepper’s goodbye to Tony.  It’s comic book gold and film history.

The ending is so satisfying, both in respects to Cap and Tony’s send-offs and the setting up for the future of the MCU.  With so many theories bouncing around the Internet (Namor?  Galactus?  X-Men?  Fantastic 4?), only time will tell what happens next.  Can’t wait for Spider-Man:  Far from Home to hopefully explain some of the lingering questions concerning the repercussions/effects of said events in Endgame, and I can’t wait for what comes next.

While I’m here, these are the questions I have after seeing Endgame for the second time:
• So, what happened to Loki and the Tesseract? Is this going to be the premise of Disney+’s Loki show?
• During Hulk and the Ancient One’s talk back in New York 2012, she only mentions the fact that the Time Stone being out of place from the rest of the stones could cause rifts in space-time and cause other realities (the multiverse) to branch and collide.  Is this the case for all stones as well?  If so, how is the main reality, where Thanos used the stones to snap away the stone, still together and not crumbling?  Or is it?  Five years is awhile to notice cosmic changes, right?
• The time travel logic.  Though I think I get where they’re going, I’m still a little lost in the grey area.  Is it primarily time travel or does is play into parallel/alternate dimensions/realities?  Is there another Steve in the ice when Cap goes back with Peggy?  Does Cap live a secret life?  Is iced Cap discovered?  How does it all work?

Now, here are my answers to some questions:
• How is 2014 Nebula able to time-travel Thanos’ entire ship to 2023?
- She did take present Nebula’s remaining Pym Particle and give it to Thanos.  With their superior space technology, they may have been able to process it into the ship’s mainframe or something.
• How does Thanos’ sword break Cap’s shield?
- It’s probably made of vibranium, and thanks to their superior space tech, they could form it better.  And Thanos is stronger.
• Where did Rhodey’s new suit come from?
- He probably called it just like Tony could do with his previous suits and Iron Legion.
• How could the Quantum Realm suits turn into other clothes?
- They’re made of Stark’s nano tech, which can basically form/camouflage to anything.
• How can Tony’s nano tech hold the Infinity Stones?
- It’s probably a combination of Stark’s own nano tech and Wakanda’s vibranium that they now have surely given access to the world.
• How did Tony switch the gauntlets?
- Quick-forming nano tech.
• Why was the Ancient One in New York?
- Sorcerers are the defense against cosmic forces so it makes sense she’d be where there was trouble.  Even better is that the Sanctum Sanctorum is in NYC.
• Why would the Acient One act the way she did to Strange in Doctor Strange when she said she knew he’d be the best there is in Endgame?
- It was a test.  She couldn’t just make it that easy for him.  Strange has an ego problem already.  She had to make it seem hard.  She had to get him ready.

And finally, here are the issues.  There is a significant drop is score upon rewatch and it’s mainly due to these small, albeit important factors:
• The rat - Was there really not a different, more clever way to bring back Scott to the present?
• Some basic continuity errors (Nat’s sandwich not cut in half in one shot after being shown cut in another/same with Hulk’s burrito).
• MISSING EARPIECE.
• The Ancient One says the Hulk is “Five years too early” and that Strange is currently perforing surgery.  Since The Avengers takes place in 2012 that means “Five years early” would be referring to 2017.  This is impossible since Strange was involved in his car crash in February of 2016 meaning he wouldn’t be able to perform surgery in 2017, when he is in the midst of his sorcerer training/the plot of Doctor Strange.
• When Black Panther takes the gauntlet from Hawkeye and is running through the craze of the battle, you can see Giant Man in the background battling it out with a Chitauri space slug thing.  This breaks scene continuity because the scene before this shows Scott and Hope in the X-Con van trying to hot wire the car to get it started.
• So, it’s safe to assume that Korg, Miek, and Valkyrie escaped on the Sakaarian cruiser when Thanos attacked them and the Asgardians in Infinity War.  However, we never get confirmation here.  I would’ve just liked a line confirming that.
• In Tony’s final farewell before his funeral, his hologram self says that, “If you had told me ten years we weren’t alone...”. Well, ten years ago, from 2023, would’ve been 2013.  This is one year after the events of The Avengers where they battled an alien invasion.  So, he shouldn’t have been surprised.
• Hawkeye’s kids’ ages are all screwed up.  When first introduced in Age of Ultron, his youngest had just been born.  That means, AoU taking place in 2015, they would have vanished just three years later in 2018 after the events of Infinity War.  There is no way Clint’s youngest here in the opening scene of Endgame is three years old.  The same can be said with his daughter whi has aged pretty fast in just three years.  The only believable one is his eldest son.
• No funeral for Nat...?

Overall, Avengers:  Endgame is a wild cinematic achievement of blockbuster proportions.  The superhero genre, no matter what you think of it, isn’t leaving anytime soon, and this one may be the crown jewel.  It has its problems, as do all MCU films, but, like I said, I can’t wait to see what happens next.  It’s emotionally fulfilling, satisfying, entertaining, it looks amazing, and is just so fun.  It’s really all I could’ve wanted for an “end” to the MCU era (besides some fixes that I pointed out in my issues section).

I could continue to ramble on an on about this film and how revolutionary and groundbreaking and influential it will undoubtedly be, but it’d be pointless (I’ve already been typing for nearly an hour).  It ends on a perfect note, a beautiful end to certain characters, and beautiful beginnings to others.  No credits scenes was the right choice here, and that perfect callback to what started it all in the fade-to-black, says it all.  I can’t wait to see this again, and again, and again, and again.

Was 98 Now 85

And who else wants to see Cap’s adventure returning all the stones?  Especially on Vormir.

Collin liked these reviews