RSS feed for C.J. Gerardy

Favorite films

Recent activity

All

Recent reviews

More
  • A Star Is Born

    A Star Is Born

    ★★★★½

    Kevin asked if I wanted to make a bet. “I bet that A Star is Born wins Best Picture,” he said. This seemed like an easy bet at the time: saying that a movie would WIN Best Picture (let alone even be nominated) seemed crazy to make so early. 

    Fast forward a couple months to a cold October evening. I’m in my car after enjoying the last two and a half hours sitting in the Dolby theater with a cute…

  • Bad Times at the El Royale

    Bad Times at the El Royale

    ★★★★½

    I had a better time at the El Royale than I did with a sad Ryan Gosling on the moon. Easily the better 1960s-set movie that came out this weekend.

    The cast is so good that it’s hard to pick a standout, although I would like to nominate Cynthia Erivo and Jeff Bridges if you’ll let me. Dakota Johnson is way better (in this and in everything else) than people give her credit for. I can’t wait to see what…

Popular reviews

More
  • Game Night

    Game Night

    ★★★★½

    Let’s just get this out of the way: I loved Game Night. I had an absolute blast watching this and was laughing 90% of the time (the other 10% was spent fawning over Rachel McAdams, but I’ll get to that). Guess what I also love? Monopoly. That’s not really relevant but it needed to be said.

    The cast is great. Everyone has atleast one great moment. As much as I love Kyle Chandler, the comedic standout of the film is…

  • Ready Player One

    Ready Player One

    ★★★★½

    I read Ready Player One early last year. It was entertaining enough, but nothing special. Leave it to Spielberg to turn it into a great movie.

    Perhaps I’m being too generous here— the movie is probably not deserving of 4.5 stars— but I had such a fun time watching it, that it’s hard for me to even consider giving it anything less than a 4. I forgot, if only for two hours 10 minutes, that I’m 21 years old, struggling…