Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

So I totally expected to love this because I’m a QT fanboy and love all of his films...but...this exceeded my high expectations and turned out to be my favorite of his entire filmography. It’s got most of the QT trademarks but what makes it so exciting is how different it is from the rest of his work (and it would have been exciting regardless if it had been more like them). This is more low key, less violent, less self indulgent. What you do get is long scenes of two characters talking, multiple shots of feet, tons of old great music, and an amazing and very rewarding twist. That twist is great but the movie also surprises in the way that it doesn’t go off the rails with twists throughout the movie. I expected things to go haywire and they really don’t. The three main actors are fantastic: Leo is as always unparalleled, Brad Pitt is cooler than a cucumber and my favorite character in the film, and Margot Robbie is great with the least amount of dialogue (and she looks perfect for the part). There are some strong horror slements here (expected because of the Manson storyline). The most fun I’ve had at the movies since I don’t know when; this one will stand the test of time and go down as one of my favorite movies of all time. See it in theaters while you can.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I saw this with my 73 year old dad, who I rarely go to the movies with. I knew this was going to the perfect movie to watch with him because he’s obsessed with the 60s and loves the old westerns. He was absolutely delighted with the period details and wouldn’t stop talking about how great the film was for the whole ride home. So another reason this gets 5 stars is because it made my dad happy.

Edit #2: I gotta stop going and looking through the lowest rated reviews for movies I love. Why care what strangers I will never meet think? It’s only going to anger me and I want to hold on to the joy that this movie made me feel.

Cham liked these reviews