Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★

I really don’t know what to say about this film. Mulholland Drive is the first film I’ve seen from Lynch and although I don’t understand this film I can’t say it was an unpleasant experience. Weirdly it all kind of fits together. There are many sets of characters that are briefly introduced and then never seen again. I was sort of disappointed some of these characters didn’t get more attention, as there seemed to be some interesting paths that were simply abandoned. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the bizarre surrealism sequences that I’ve come to learn Lynch is known for. Such as the “There is no band” sequence. That entire segment has little to no bearing on anything else that happens in the film, similarly to some of the aforementioned dead end narratives. What I enjoyed most about this film is the way characters interact and deliver their lines. The way each response is delayed just a second too long. This film is also downright hilarious at times (maybe unintentionally, but I’m not sure on account of I’m not very acclimated with Lynch’s style of filmmaking yet). The “This is the girl/Espresso” scene had me crying. Somewhere between the elderly couple scurrying under the doorway like rodents, and Diane blowing her brains out I decided I wasn’t a fan of the ending. Very interested in exploring Lynch’s filmography.

charlessipple liked these reviews