Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★★

Tarantino has done it again. Just when I think he can’t shock me any more than films like The Hateful Eight and Inglourious Basterds already have, he just seems to get better and more unpredictable. Django Unchained isn’t quite my favourite of the six I’ve seen so far but it is definitely one of my favourite movies of all time. It boasts all the traits of any good Tarantino film; masterfully written dialogue that elevates sequences both humorous and tense, a wonderful roster of extremely memorable characters brought to life by some amazing performances, and a final act full of explosive, badass and delightfully over-the-top violence. Christoph Waltz gives maybe one of my favourite performances of all time in this film; there’s nothing that makes me smile more than seeing him so confidently and hilariously talk his way out of life-threatening situations. On top of this, Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson and just about everyone else is incredible here. While the film is at its most riveting and gripping throughout sequences of flourishing, tense dialogue, there’s nothing quite like seeing so many unbelievably violent yet satisfying shootouts in that absolutely perfect final act. This is surely one of my favourite directing efforts by Quentin Tarantino, although his brief acting effort here was...less masterful.

Charlie liked these reviews