Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2

Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 ★★★★½

If the 2011 film is the greatest romantic film made in recent times (which it is), then this to me is the To-Wai team's great anti-romance. Which is not to say that there aren't great romantic moments here... there are of course and they set the heart aflutter and everything. But most of the time the film is skewering those moments soon after. Those post-it note correspondences that endeared Louis Koo so much to us as well as Gao in the first movie have devolved into a pickup artist's lame formula. The grandiose skyscraper is now a prolonged construction project keeping the couple apart. And signs and coincidences are often deflated of meaning.. Louis Koo feeling breathless again ultimately means nothing. Connections formed over magical drunken nights don't necessarily endure the harsh glare of daylight. The past (both near and distant) haunts these characters continually and they all commit the inevitable human folly of letting that taint the present. Why is it that we sing sadly about lost loves when we are drunk as opposed to singing joyfully about what's on hand.. Devastating closing shot .. and yet one leaves the film with a smile on one's face.
Also, hilarious. Watched it with the greatest audience. Sychronized laughter and awws and everything. Felt like a warm group hug.

Block or Report