Parasite

Parasite ★★★★★

Possibly a perfect movie. I can't see a whole lot wrong with it. It has a great commentary on social and economic class. It's got just enough style to it that it isn't a film steeped in reality that it's just another drama or thriller. There's a stamp on it. Every character in this film is likable and despicable in equal measures. How I can have affections and disdain for both sides at the same time is a mark for great characterization and acting in this.

After the screening I was getting a little reflective and was sad about how people in the US watch foreign films and like... this film is a hit, but it should be a much larger hit, but god forbid people actually see something not in English?? Like I know reading stuff quickly on a screen isn't possible for everyone, but you know it's an overall lack of interest that just adds to a larger ordeal is the problem here.

I think it's safe to say this is a lock in for the foreign language awards circuits? I'm excited to see what else gets thrown into the conversation, but if this doesn't end up dominating, I'll be surprised.

liked these reviews