Tenet

A R E P O
T E N E T
O P E R A
R O T A S

Tenet was my most anticipated release of this year that was unfortunately ruined by this ongoing pandemic. Christopher Nolan is my favorite director and he has yet to make anything I’ve disliked so I was very hyped for this film. Nolan continues this impressive streak of delivering quality content once more. I really liked Tenet, thought it was well-made, had cool action sequences, great performances from JDW, Battinson, and Debicki (my 6’3” birthday twin), and a score that was so damn phenomenal/brilliant from Ludwig Göransson that I can imagine how it sounded in theaters.

Now I’ve given Nolan’s last 5 films a perfect grade so I was hoping that streak was going to continue. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and ironically with how bad this year has been, that streak came to an end. This isn’t a perfect movie, it’s very flawed, somewhat overlong, and at times convoluted. I suggest paying extra attention so you can try to understand more and this demands a rewatch. Most of my friends that were lucky enough (envious of them) to have seen Tenet in theaters said they had issues with the sound mixing which is something that Nolan’s been criticized before but thankfully I didn’t have any problems. I made sure to include subtitles and I was able to understand the dialogue.

Overall, Tenet wasn’t quite what I was hoping it was going to be (predicted the film was going to be Top 5 maybe Top 3 from Nolan’s filmography) but still doesn’t hide the fact that Chris Nolan is one of the best directors working today. A friend of mine said “Nolan was on Adderall when he wrote this” and I have to agree with him because there are times where I was like “Nolan, you mad man, no wonder I love you”. I really wish I had the chance to see Tenet in IMAX, not my desktop computer because this demanded to be seen on a big screen with the best quality possible. We’ve been living in these hard times and theaters in LA have been closed since March so I had to take what I had. I can’t wait to eventually give this a rewatch with my family when my 4K Blu-Ray copy comes and hopefully others love it a lot more than I did. “Don’t try to understand it. Feel it”.

Christian Cortave liked these reviews