2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

Recommended By: yondu4
Recommendation List: HERE

Although I can understand why it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I don’t see how anyone can deny the fact that 2001: A Space Odyssey is an incredibly well constructed technical masterpiece. The fact that this movie showcases technical work that is superior to that of modern films is mind boggling to me. It is because of the groundbreaking visuals and perfectly compatible musical selections for each scene that the lengthy sequences during which there is only music and shots of space are absorbing and simply had me in awe. Add on to that the fact that the movie manages to tell a story that has provides a complex view on evolution and the qualities of humanity, and you get a film that is undoubtedly a spectacle, but also one that makes you think long after the credits roll. This is all a demonstration of Stanley Kubrick’s masterful direction and ability to put all the pieces in place to make a movie like this come together. My reasoning for not giving this movie a five star rating is because it’s not one that I see myself going back to that often simply because it is fairly slow paced. Even so, when I do rewatch it, I will most likely have the same reaction as I did my first time around. 2001: A Space Odyssey is rightfully considered a masterpiece, and, in my opinion, one of the best examples of perfect technical work in a film.

🔙Taxi Driver