The Favourite

The Favourite ★★★★

I have only seen Yorgos Lanthimos movies in November, at AFI Fest, and at the Egyptian (the other being The Lobster). I loved that at the time and was really enamored with his style, and now 3 years later and I'm not as blown away by it, but it's still really well framed and I'm thankful that contemporary movies look like this. I liked it well enough but it sold me at a certain line that was shocking and hilarious and really got me on board with the film. All the costumes, sets, and score are great and it's fun watching what is basically a love triangle unfold but I feel like it could have gone further with what it was doing. Emma Stone is great as usual and her character really surprised me, Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz are great too. I'm not completely on board with ending, and to me - at this moment - the movie felt incomplete. I was expecting more before it cut to black. I guess I should applaud it for surprising me? But at the same time I stand by feeling the ending is off. Regardless, it's really good and Yorgos Lanthimos is one of a kind.

Chris liked these reviews