2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★½

At the risk of losing my credibility as a film fan I just really didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I felt it was the most self indulgent bore fest I've ever seen. Seen at Cineworld for it's 50th anniversary.
I am a fan of Kubrick, I love The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange so I was very disappointed in 2001...
I appreciate how beautiful it can look and how amazing all of the special effects and sets were for 1968, but I struggled to enjoy it based on cinematic merit alone.
I found myself bored enough to start counting how long each shot was in a certain segment. When you're spending an average of 8-12 seconds on shots of something unimportant it just feels like padding and not some auteur technique.
I was really interested in the actual plot of 2001... it's just a shame that Kubrick wasn't as interested.
I may have been too disconnected to really get the overall message of 2001 but I felt like there were so many moments that could have been shortened or cut completely and it would have helped the story.
I felt the Hal9000 section was really good bar some scenes that ran too long and the overall mystery of the monoliths was engaging and intriguing, but the rest of 2001 just made me feel like all the good stuff was wasted so Kubrick could show his technical prowess.
I understand that Kubrick wasn't attempting to service the plot much and 2001 is exactly how he wants it to be but I'm sorry, it just wasn't for me.