The Naked Kiss ★★★★

Sam Fuller’s leaning tower of a movie, a pull fiction, feels like it’s ready to topple over at any moment. Staring Constance Towers as Kelly, a prostitute with a heart of gold, who flees her home town in search of a better, less judged life. The Naked Kiss is taught and concise picture, that seemingly relishes in its nihilist depictions and off-the-wall style of 1960s cinema.

There’s much to engage with here, the cinematography is gleaming with grandeur; defining close-ups that delivers shock reactions better than showcasing the actual events. Fuller’s use of a pulsing Jazz score also gives the film a tempo that we follow along to; awaiting that moment when the music stops, and all were left with is a feeling beguilement.

The Naked Kiss is Americana on a knifes edge. The American dream becoming the American nightmare. A testament to Fuller’s nuances as a director. Whilst his actions might seem arbitrary, in fact it’s not Fuller’s representation of these characters that is unsettling, its our own interpretation of them that wakes us up.

The Naked Kiss isn’t an easy watch, nor is it throw-away entertainment. It is deeply unsettling, whilst simultaneously giving the viewer pause for thought on how we interpret people’s actions, and the consequences that come along with that.