Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★½

“It is by going down into the abyss where we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.”

Zack Snyder somehow put out two movies in the same year, and both ended up being good. Army Of The Dead is a really fun heist film that I found a lot of the choices very surprising, even for Snyder. Dave Bautista’s character, Scott was a pretty interesting main character, other than the relationship with his daughter, which wasn’t exactly bad, but it was just a uninteresting subplot. Ludwig was a really fun character, a fantastic comedic relief, but pretty much every character is pretty funny in their own way. As usual for Snyder, this film was visually stunning. But, I did feel like it was a bit limited as for some reason Snyder filmed it with a dream lens, could be for budgeting reasons, or just a decision. A better budget for some of the zombie scenes could’ve helped also. The setup to when the actual heist started was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting, and was quicker than I was expecting. The actual heist is where it dragged at parts. It's basically nonstop killing zombies, but something about it made parts of the film drag more than I was expecting. And, the third act was a bit of a mess, but I’m kind of used to that with Zack Snyder films. But, overall still a really fun time, another good Snyder film. Excited for what he does next, whether that’s back to comic book films (very unlikely) or, films like this.

Cinebad liked these reviews