Midnight Cowboy ★★★★★

**Part of the Best Picture Project**

I can't think of a better film to send off the 60s with.

Not just that, but Midnight Cowboy is the final film I watch in the 42nd year of the Academy Awards, which I am now halfway done with in this project that is going on 2 years now.

Midnight Cowboy is about a lot of things, but it's mainly about the loss of innocence, something the world was facing in 1969. Gone were the simple days of enlightening through entertainment. Reality had crept in, and along with it came the nasties of life. It was time to face the monsters in our lives that had been there all along.

Yet in all the cynicism that leads Midnight Cowboy, it is sure to never forget its humanity. Whereas the same year's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid saw a great relationship between two men, Midnight Cowboy sees a fragile one between two flawed men struggling to survive in a cold world (literally) and uncaring of their fate. Their optimism drives them to try and survive in even the worst of situations.

When the Academy presented Midnight Cowboy the Best Picture Oscar, they weren't just rewarding a great film, they were recognizing the final death of the Golden Age of Hollywood, an age of innocence. The dream is over. We've moved on. Bring on the 70s.