Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★½

I put this off for a long time because of the origin of it as half TV pilot/ half feature film and watching it, you can definitely tell there's a separation. That's not necessarily a criticism. I think the nature of it's origin really defies it from having a single "true" interpretation of the work.

To me this is a film about Los Angeles, about identity, about dreams. The read I came away with is a film about our identities as they exist in our relationships. The film essentially exists in three parts amnesia (no relationship), symmetry (relationship, merged identity) and the trauma of separation.

I love Lynch's ability to produce fear from the uncanny. Lots of horrror uses the uncanny to create fear but only Lynch seems be able to use it at will. I don't know what is behind the door when those little shruken people come through crack at the bottom but I know I don't want the door to open.

If anyone knows of an interview where Robert Altman discussed David Lynch, please point me to it. I saw an interview from 1972 on the Dick Cavett show today where Altman talked about the capibilities of the medium of film and immediately thought of Lynch.

Joey liked these reviews