Wonder Woman 1984

Wonder Woman 1984 ★★★

It’s Spider-Man 2 meets Dr. Strangelove meets American Ninja Warrior meets Cats.

This movie has the same problem as the first Wonder Woman, where it peaks in the second half and the end is bad, except more extreme. I’d say in this movie the middle is better, but the ending is worse.

I liked all the character development we got with the villains. It’s so odd to me that the marketing campaign pitched this movie as Kristen Wiig v Gal Gadot when it’s really Pedro Pascal v Gal Gadot and some side cheetah fighting. It felt like the

Pedro Pascal cocaine acting was fun, though not totally explained. Kristen Wiig is very fun to watch. I love seeing her slowly gain her confidence. Gal Gadot is charming as hell, but genuinely looks like she’s trying to remember her lines when she is giving speeches.

This movie is actually best when it’s not in action mode. The character development in the middle is fun, and I loved how much time we got to spend developing the villains into sympathetic characters. And the 80s aesthetic was a good time. It felt like they took a page out of Black Panther in giving the villain a mission you can understand. And then they tossed that all out the window in favor of pure chaos.

The ending is bad. I won’t spoil it, but I don’t think I was supposed to be laughing or rolling my eyes.

Also, thanks mom for picking WW 1984 over Soul and leaving halfway through.

Christmas 2020 Releases Where a Soul Gets Put into Someone Else’s Body and Only One Person Can See Them For Who They Really Are

Ethan liked these reviews