Fruitvale Station

Fruitvale Station ★★★★★

I will avoid any discussion about the racial politics of this film as they have been covered and will continue to be covered well beyond this films popularity. Instead, I want to champion this as a work that is evident of what is possible in the post-9/11 cinematic landscape. I mean to say that in this context, every image of inexplicable violence now exists in a world where its reality is captured therefore making any cinematic recreation of the events subject to clear shades of inauthenticity. However, as Ryan Coolger shows, this does not mean that the story can be any less powerful, particularly when exerting the most evocative of cinematic techniques. Sometimes the reality exists in a state of frustrating impossibility, and a film like Fruitvale Station hopes to reconfigure the narrative to come to some degree of understanding as to how the impossible does indeed occur, while also reminding viewers that some degrees of loss are simply only understandable in moments of stark documented reality.

Fruitvale Station is not likely to be my favorite film of the year, but it certainly proved to breath new life into what is possible in regards to social activism and fictional filmmaking.

Full Review