Hereditary

Hereditary

I honestly don't know what movie everyone else has been watching.
There is barely a single scary moment in this entire film. My whole audience felt the same as I did, bored and shifting around, checking our watches, until the last half hour or so where everyone there was just openly laughing at how ridiculous and bad it was. I have turned off movies at home, but I don't think I have ever walked out of a movie in a theater. But if I ever did, this one might have been it. I stuck around only because I had hope it would get better and redeem itself in the end... it didn't.

I don't blame the actors - they all do a fine job, especially Alex Wolff. (But man is that little girl ugly - and not in a creepy intriguing way, but a "I can't stand to look at her onscreen" way)
Too many times A24 has fooled me with the rave reviews and the hype, only to get me into a movie that turns out to be overrated garbage. About one out of every 5 or 6 A24 films turns out to be good, and I am not sure anymore that seeing those good ones is worth suffering through the bad. They have fooled me enough.

I have a hard time believing I will see a worse film this year.

Brian liked this review