Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) ★★★★½

Funny, wicked, playfully demented... a riot, maybe a bit Zsasz-y?
Looks like everybody was having a good time onscreen.

Rosie Perez, a total badass. #Represent.
(Do you guys remember Perdita Durango or was that a collective dream?)

Choosing to bring the infamous Victor Zsasz to an all-female party was bold and it works perfect. I must confess than in my youth I may had have a personal obsession (not totally proud, but: teenager years 🙃) with Zsasz. I’m glad Nolan only gave him a cameo on his cinematic universe. I don’t think I wanted to see more of him in THAT timeline.

Having said that, Cathy Yan (and Christina Hodson) gave Victor Zsasz the type of shine he deserved: the muscle (Zsasz) of a rich sadistic fuckboy (Roman/Black Mask). The chemistry between Chris Messina and Ewan McGregor had me laughing the whole time they are together. He’s a fucking dick. Black Mask is like the alter ego of one of Trump’s sons. A mean, capricious, sadistic rick prick with low self-steem who wants to own the world.

«Is that a snot bubble?»

Victor is very protective of Roman and Roman just wants to be adored.
Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) definitely feels the bromance between these two, just look at how she looks at them every time.

I loved this as much as love Tank Girl, maybe a bit more because it obviously Cathy Yan improved a lot from what Rachel Talalay accomplished 25 years before. But it feels fresh and funny yet woke and creative. Because it doesn’t take itself very seriously. Harley Quinn uses a glitter & gas shotgun and it doesn’t look real at all but who cares because this is a comic movie after all and the sprinklers are on and the stunts are fun.

I’m probably watching it again.
And I want to see Cathy Yan first feature.