Dolemite Is My Name

Dolemite Is My Name ★★★½

I had a fun time watching this movie. I have never seen the actual film Dolemite, nor have I seen any of the “blaxploitation” films considered to be in the same vein, so a lot of what this film presented was new to me. Eddie Murphy gives a great performance as Rudy Ray Moore, managing to balance actual humor with some deep emotion, properly grounding his character. Wesley Snipes is also absolutely perfect as his weird side character, he stole every scene he was in and I loved him. Kodi Smitt-McPhee was alright. The rest of the cast was just palatable, getting us to the next scene. I know that this review is coming off as a bit disinterested and dull, but quite frankly, not a lot stuck out to me about this film. It didn’t do much to set itself apart, and though it was very enjoyable, there was just little substance beneath the style. One last point that I would give it is the costume design. It really is incredible, second only to Rocketman this year. This, naturally, is why both films got snubbed this morning. Anyway, a very by-the-Numbers script and some dull direction make this film a nice watch, but does little to distance it from the pack of awards films it came out with.

Final Rating: 7/10

———
Author’s Note: I’ll use this space to rant about the Oscar nominations for a second. A24 getting snubbed is stupid, Uncut Gems and Farewell were two of the best films of the year. Bates in supporting actress is stupid. None of the Parasite cast getting noms is stupid. Joker getting ELEVEN noms when it only deserved, like, maybe 5, is stupid. DeNiro deserved a nod in Actor. Where is Rocketman? And a final reminder that France is unbelievably stupid for not choosing Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

citizen_bane liked these reviews