Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

Disclaimer: I haven’t seen Hereditary yet. I feel like that’s an important fact to mention here.

I was not at all prepared for what this film wanted to show me. Aster is a master (haha, get it?) of the art of horror through strangeness, presenting disturbing imagery and frightening images to truly terrify his audience. I don’t remember a single jumpscare in this movie, yet I spent the majority of the time supremely uncomfortable, tense, and a little bit frightened. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen a horror film quite like Midsommar before; one that takes delight in using the light that we typically associate with safety, and using it against us to make us even more scared of a picturesque, beautiful land. The cinematography here is beautiful, the production design intricate, as the filmmakers create a world that is clearly brimming with details, fascinating tidbits, and tall tales. Led by a powerhouse performance from Florence Pugh, this film is delightfully weird, taking pleasure in its odd images and twisted plot to wring as many emotions out of the audience as possible. It may be a little TOO weird at times, but nonetheless it’s definitely a very solid film.

Final Rating: 8/10

———
Author’s Note: Incidentally, I’ve made an executive decision to never go to Sweden. Totally unrelated to this movie, just a thought.

citizen_bane liked these reviews