Tanna

Tanna ★★★★½

Here is your next winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film as far as this guy is concerned. How is no one talking about this?

It is only once in a great while that I see a film as powerful and breathtakingly gorgeous as Tanna. Shot on location and featuring a cast consisting of indigenous peoples of the titular island, this film tells a very old story indeed, one that everyone who sees it will be more than familiar with. That should not deter anyone from seeing what will likely be my new favorite film of 2016. The story, though deceptively derivative, is actually a true one and feels every bit as original as it does familiar. Anyone reading this will likely have seen countless adaptations of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, but I promise you that you will never have seen one that looks and feels as natural and rooted in raw humanity as does Tanna.

recently I could be quoted as naming a film as one of the best looking that I had seen all year. This completely blows all other competition out of the water. With stunning vistas of some of the most Edenic landscapes ever put on film, this imagery will positively floor you and cause your hearts to skip a beat. If Terrence Malick and Werner Herzog were to collaborate on a film’s cinematography, it would look something like this, depicting nature equally at its most majestic as well as its most fearsome. On top of this sumptuous feast for the eyes, lies an equally moving story and one of the greatest love stories ever told. Who would have thought that one would have to travel to the far side of the world to discover an authentic Romeo and Juliet, a pair whose indomitable romance would create waves of real world repercussions and reshape an entire culture forever? Tanna is the real deal people, it was the one I had been waiting for all year. Do everything you can to make sure you hunt this masterpiece down. If this is the first time that you have heard about this film, it will not be the last. Trust me on that.

Best Films of 2016