The Thing

The Thing ★★★★★

I haven’t been in the mood to write long-winded and articulate reviews as of late but if I had been, this movie would have definitely warranted one. Besides, I’d just be stating things everyone already knows about it.

The Antarctic setting, the cast, their characters, the premise, the effects, the tension building, the constant homages to other classic sci-fi/horror….everything about this film is basically perfect. Just when I would think, “Man, that looks really cool,” the scene would progress and whatever it was just kept getting cooler looking. Like I was already impressed and then it would sprout legs or eye tentacles and start crawling up the walls and shit. Fuck CGI. This movie is nuts.

It’s cold. It’s creepy. It’s awesome. Bearded Kurt Russell with a flamethrower for President.

This has got to be my favorite Carpenter movie and probably the best remake ever made.

I am not very squeamish or scareable but when Kurt held that wire into one particular petri dish full of blood, I’ll be damned if I didn’t poop myself a little.

1982 wasn’t fucking kidding around at all with its movies!

CJ liked these reviews