The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★½

More than likely, I had a lot more severe of an emotional reaction to The Mitchells vs. The Machines than the average person. Like a lot of others, I saw myself and my familial relationships reflected back at me throughout the story but that reflection hit a lot harder than I was prepared for.

Like Katie, I’m a queer, movie obsessed person who used college as a means of escape from an unhappy home life. When I was little I was my dad’s biggest fan. Then life got overwhelmingly messy and suddenly I was 16 and I hadn’t spoken to or seen my dad in a year and he was dead. That’s where my personal experiences deviate from The Mitchells’, but it’s why the film hits so hard. I’ve spent almost 9 years wishing for a do-over, for a chance to at least try to repair the relationship between me and my dad, to hear his voice one more time, to find out what he’d actually think of the person I am now rather than making up something in my head. I don’t get that chance, but The Mitchells vs. The Machines, in a lot of ways, felt like that chance, at least for a moment. Long story short, I could not stop crying, whether it be in heartache or celebration.

I loved the film. I loved the characters, particularly Katie. I loved the story, familiar yet thrilling. I loved the animation, a fusion of 2D and 3D that felt alive in a way that is not often experienced in animation these days. I loved the jokes, the witty references and the silly meme jokes alike, it’s a very funny watch. I just loved it. I’ve been following The Mitchells vs. The Machines through production for a little over a year and to say my expectations were met is an understatement.

What a joy it is that we’re able to see and feel stories visually through film.

2021 Ranked

claira curtis liked these reviews