Capernaum ★★★★½

Lebanon represent! 🇱🇧

How does a parent become a parent? There is no manifesto in being one. No written rules as to how the children are ought to be raised. But interestingly enough, we just know how to do it. We can tell if one did the right way or not and that is what this movie is all about through the eyes of a child.

In this movie, the story focuses on Zain’s arduous life as a brother and son, born to a poor family in Beirut. He gets along pretty well with his sisters, most especially with Sahar, which brings us to Assaad. He’s the guy whom the strong-headed boy works for and also who plans to marry her most beloved sister at a very young age. What I admire about Zain is how he can sniff those who are up to no good and put them into their place even though he does not have the ability to do so.

As the story goes, Sahar eventually leaves for an arranged marriage with Assaad and puts Zain in despair. He aimlessly takes a bus and unexpectedly meets Rahil in a café shop. The two forms a bond that is much more cohesive than his own family as he is tasked to look after Yossan (Rahil’s child) like he’s the father.

This goes to show how a mere child can do a better job than the so-called guardians that have no compassion towards their children. They get impregnated without planning their future to the point where the last resort to get by is through selling their daughters as slaves.