My Own Private Idaho ★★★★

I had very high expectations before watching this film, and I was not disappointed. This is a great film.

My favourite aspect of this film was the cinematography. It has a very raw and unique feel to it. I loved the wide shots and especially the composition of the shots. They were mesmerizing. The direction is really not like any other movie I've seen. It really makes you feel like you are with the characters in the different settings. The first 5 to 10 minutes were amazing, it has a lot of landscapes and many time lapses that were mesmerizing to look at. For example; when the characters go to rome, it doesn't start with a god's eye view of the city nor show popular landmarks. The scene starts with the main character waking up, and then he realizes that he is rome. This is excellent direction as you are feeling what the character is feeling, this feeling of disorientation, a feeling that prevails the whole film. Another director would have done this differently.
The acting was very good, especially from River Phoenix, giving a very powerful performance. The chemistry between Mike and Scotty was really charming and beautiful.
This film gives a very realistic take on childhood trauma, and how it can change a person and give them a very unsatisfying adulthood. It is very powerful and gives the film a very depressing tone, as the ending is very sad and realistic. It doesn't give the characters a good finality, it gives them a realistic and monotone closure to them. Many people will find that negative, but I found it very powerful.
Overall, I think that this is one of the most unique films I've ever seen, with a really bizarre and great script and one of the best sex scenes ever put to film.

clarson liked these reviews