Three Colors: Red

Three Colors: Red ★★★★★

It's entirely possible, if one were to believe in such a thing as the soul, that each and every soul in the world has a mate. Now what if the mate of your soul was attached to the body of someone born too early? What if you were able to catch them in their declining years, just as you were beginning to really settle into adulthood? They turn out to be bitter, cynical, kept alive only by their God complex. But you can crack the exterior, are able to expose the delicacy of the soul underneath, come to the understanding that the two of you were meant to be together. But they know what you do not, namely that they are beyond saving, that they must allow you to be free to spare someone else's pain before it is too late.

Fraternity, kindness, understanding. A love story both platonic and immensely romantic, ravishingly beautifully to watch, and wholly satisfying on both an emotional and intellectual level. This is a perfect film. Not only is it masterful in its own right, it also concludes a trilogy of films executed by a great filmmaker at the both the end of his career, and the height of his powers. Metaphysical without isolating its audience, spiritual without hammering religion into us (though the symbolism is there), stylish while also substantial, collectively speaking, this trilogy of films takes a good run at being The Greatest Movie Ever Made, and for my money, it is. It so perfectly encapsulates everything I want to say about life, but lack the ability to do so. It offers small stories of individuals that somehow seem Homeric when viewed and digested. More than anything, though, I legitimately think this trilogy has the rare ability to make us better people just by viewing it. Such a rich portrait of humanity is so rarely seen in cinema, and the world became a lesser place when Kieslowski left it. Yet he left us examples to follow, a cinematic port in the storm of life.

claytone liked these reviews