The Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad ★★★★½

this feels like one of those movies where i’ll be better able to fully explain my assorted mess of thoughts through a list than actual sentences. so!

1) margot robbie <3
2) i love james gunn with all my heart but i wasn’t the biggest fan of the pushing of harley to the sideline for the majority of the film. not sure if this was legitimately intentional or not, but it feels like a missed opportunity to not make harley the audience surrogate here due to the familiarity audiences already have with her.
2a) or maybe harley is just better off away from the main squad with more room to shine?
3) ratcatcher 2 is quite literally one of the purest people depicted in a superhero movie. instantly became a favorite of mine <3
4) joel kinnaman is one of the most underrated actors working today. go watch Altered Carbon!!!!
5) there are some absolutely gorgeous shots sprinkled throughout this, but the highlight for me was harley and the explosion of flowers behind her.
6) soundtrack is severely disappointing when comparing it to GOTG, and even when comparing it to Suicide Squad. that movie is Bad (capital B bad), but that soundtrack was killer.
7) john cena is so hilarious in every single scene, and there’s just something about his line delivery that’s so impeccable.
8) costumes? a little bit disappointing!!!
9) KING SHARK IS SO GOOD HOLY HELL I CANT BELIEVE A SHARK CAN BE THAT LIKEABLE
10) and lastly, margot robbie <3

this was such a necessary injection into my heart regarding superhero movies and just movies in general. its certainly not a new or innovative addition into the genre, but it’s a refreshingly welcome one filled to the brim with fun colors, energetic characters, and gore galore. i cannot WAIT to see what daniela melchior does next!!!

jordan liked these reviews