In the Mood for Love

In the Mood for Love ★★★★★

Tonight I finally watched In the Mood for Love and it didn't disappoint. I've been putting this one off for years due to the idea that it may not live up to the hype. It was almost as if the film was a better idea in my mind if I didn't ever watch it. Odd, I know.

In the Mood for Love is a masterful tale of two complex neighbors whose lives will be changed by the simple presence of the other. It's a tale interwoven by two spouses that we never see in the film and it's fascinating. As an audience we sit and wonder what the reality is for Mrs. Chan and Mr. Chow. Are they in love? Is this simply a game they're playing to satisfy their intense loneliness? These are simply two of the questions that Wong Kar-Wai asks the audience to ponder among many others. In the Mood for Love at times can be incredibly frustrating because it approaches this story in such a different way than we are accustomed to. For Kar-Wai the film seems to be about so much more than will they or wont they. It's a film about regret, shame, yearning for another, fear and wonder. It's a film that asks the audience to really dig in deep and examine these two characters. Lastly, it's a film that really shook me.

Christian liked these reviews