In the Mouth of Madness ★★★★½

John Carpenter's Lovecraftian horror film In the Mouth of Madness is a thrill-ride like no other. Seemingly to be a small hit toward horror author Stephen King (including several mentions to the author), this film shows an author whose work may not be just fictional. Carpenter is known for his creature effects, as well as well done horror films, and both shine brightly throughout the film. The creature effects were fantastic, feeling like they really did belong in a Carpenter film. There is a certain aesthetic to his films and In the Mouth of Madness captures this aesthetic, making it really feel like you are watching a John Carpenter film. I didn't remember much after watching this film, but I did remember that it definitely left a lasting impression on me when it came to the practical effects. After watching it again, it's solidified that the effects truly are horrifying, with the entire film feeling like it could have come out of an H.P. Lovecraft story. John Carpenter truly is a master of horror, with In the Mouth of Madness showing that his craft really is timeless, still standing up to horror standards today.